Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Canning 101

 Its been many years since I've done any  canning.  I used to can when the kids were little. I would take them and we'd pick blueberries and strawberries and then I'd make jam. Once tomatoes were ripe I'd make salsa, chili sauce and plain tomato's. One year a friends pear tree was struck by lightning and she brought in baskets of pears which I gladly took some and canned. As time went on and the kids grew up and work seemed to get in the way I just didn't seem to have the time anymore. So I gave away all my canning supplies, I later realized wasn't too smart. Last year I planted a small raised garden bed with more tomato plants than I needed. I shared with family and neighbors and still had so many. So I decided what I needed to do was can the rest. I had to purchase jars and canning equipment and get out my canning cook books which ironically I had saved. It funny how it all came back. I made chili sauce and canned tomatoes. This year I will do the same.  Strawberries are in season so thats what I did today. I was able to get 9 jars of jam from 4 quarts of berries. Pretty good I think. I had 2 quarts left which I cleaned and froze for further use.





No comments:

Post a Comment

February Frenzy

 Well,well,well February you've done it again. You tease us with a warm day, the snow melts and we feel like Spring is just around the c...