Sunday, February 16, 2014

Homemade Doughnuts

When I was growing up my Mom used to make homemade doughnuts. She fried hers and when your a kid I guess all that grease doesn't bother you,but as an adult I looked for an alternative. While shopping one day I saw these pans for making homemade baked doughnuts. Baked has to be better than frying I thought,so I bought 2 began my quest for a healthy doughnut. I really don't believe there is such a thing as a healthy doughnut but I think these are healthier than the fried ones. Besides a doughnut once in a while can't hurt.

Baked Cake Doughnuts
2 Cups cake flour
3/4 Cups sugar
2 Teaspoons baking powder
1/4 Teaspoon nutmeg
1Teaspoon salt
3/4 Cup buttermilk
2 Eggs beaten
2 Tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Spray doughnut pan with non stick cooking spray
In a large bowl sift together the flour,sugar,baking powder,nutmeg and salt. Add buttermilk,eggs and butter. Beat until just combined. Fill each doughnut cup 2/3 full. Bake 7 to 9 minutes until the top of the doughnut springs back when touched. Let cool in pan for 4 to 5 minutes before removing. Finish them off with either a chocolate glaze or cinnamon and sugar as I did. 
Remember they are best served fresh,with a cup of coffee,tea or what I like is a large glass of cold milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

February Frenzy

 Well,well,well February you've done it again. You tease us with a warm day, the snow melts and we feel like Spring is just around the c...