Thursday, March 6, 2014

Sweet Pickles

I love Sweet Pickles,and I love to can. I tried making them from scratch using Pickering Cucumbers and I wasn't pleased with the results. Then my Mom told me about her friend Roberta's Sweet Pickles made from store bought Dill Pickles. Now I know it sounds crazy but it works and they're good.

What you need
1/2 gallon jar of Dill Pickle Spears,if you can't find them use whole and slice them
Sugar
Apple Cider Vinegar
Celery seed
Mustard seed
Canning jars 

Strain off the juice from the pickles and place them back in the 1/2 gallon jar
In a sauce pan combine 3 cups sugar 3 cups apple cider vinegar 3 teaspoons celery seed and 3 teaspoons mustard seed.
Boil until sugar melts and pour over pickles in the 1/2 gallon jar,and put lid on.
Next day drain juice into a pan add 2 1/2 cups sugar boil and pour over pickles that have been placed in individual clean sterilized quart jars. Place lids and screw on tops. Place jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove jars place on a towell to cool and finish processing. 
I started mine yesterday afternoon finished them this morning and well here are the results. 

note: I doubled the recipe and got 6 jars



No comments:

Post a Comment

February Frenzy

 Well,well,well February you've done it again. You tease us with a warm day, the snow melts and we feel like Spring is just around the c...