Friday, January 10, 2014

If it's Friday it's Art

The 3 Cs,in my life Camping,Cooking and Crafts. Since I won't be doing any camping until Spring,cooking and crafts will take over most of my blogging for a while.
Every Friday I do Arts and Crafts with my grand-children. I've been doing this since Julia who is 12 was old enough to hold a crayon,and glue things to paper. Each week I try and think of a fun project for them to do. Since there are 4 of them ranging from age 2 to 12,I try and plan a craft that the oldest won't think is too babyish and one that won't be to hard for the youngest. Some weeks though I have to think of two different ones. Like today,Benedict did a salt painting and the other three made clothes pin people. I think they all enjoyed themselves.
In case you'd like to try any of these with your children or grand-children here is what you need. 
For salt painting you need watercolor paints,paper and table salt.
Using Salt along with watercolor paints gives the picture texture. First you lightly dampen the paper,with water. Using your watercolor paints,paint a picture. While your paint is still wet,but not in puddles put some salt in one hand and using a pinching motion with your fingers lightly sprinkle the salt where you want a deep vivid effect. Once the painting is dry rub the salt from the surface of the paper.
For the clothes pin people You need clothes pins,fabric,lace,yarn,sequin's,glue and sharpie pens. It's a fun project for really any age. Several other ideas we came up with were attach a pin back to them,or tie them on a package. Make some and see what ideas you come up with




1 comment:

February Frenzy

 Well,well,well February you've done it again. You tease us with a warm day, the snow melts and we feel like Spring is just around the c...